Saturday, April 17, 2010

Duck...Duck...Goose?

Sometimes I fall for every gimmick in existence, because I'm gullible that way. (Now that I've said this, please don't play any tricks on me because I'll be on the look out! Ha!) Case in point, yesterday I received an e-mail from Cost Plus/World Market, a favorite shop of mine. I've been known to peruse the wine aisles there looking for bargain wine deals. They're famous for selling close-out wines and alternate label fun stuff. I wasn't prepared for what I found yesterday. The ad pointed to a Sauvignon Blanc made by a famous producer in the Rutherford area of Napa Valley. The story behind this wine was interesting. The winemaker wanted to move on to the next vintage and had a surplus of the 2008 vintage leftover. So why not bottle it under a different label and sell it to an unsuspecting public at a fraction of the cost??? This could be really good or really bad depending on how this vintage turned out for them. Now, I am not sure whether this producer was being funny and teasing us with this label or if they really just can't keep a secret. (Ahem, see below...)


I told you! So I paid my $9.97 to find out what all the hype was about. I'm happy that I did. If this is supposed to be a secret, it won't be for long because I'm letting the "duck" out of the bag, so to speak. Nobody is fooling anybody here. One sip of this wine and you will probably be able to decipher who may have made it. I've tasted this wine before. In fact, it wasn't too long ago and yes, I paid $28 for it. It tastes awfully familiar... You know what I'm talking about and don't pretend you don't. If I am way off, you can just shoot me because the quality of this wine says otherwise.

This is juicy Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc at its finest! Lush with passion fruit and guava flavors. None of the grassy, grapefruity stuff. And there's a wonderful honey-vanilla component that could only come from the addition of some Semillon. Since I'm unable to find any kind of information for this wine online, I will say that I'm pretty positive there's Semillon in it. I just love blind tastings, don't you? It's crisp, cool and flavorful and look at that price tag! I'm going back for another today. You should too, while supplies last.

Who cares if there's a big question mark on this wine? It's here to be enjoyed while it's available and that's all she wrote...Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delish, I'll have to see if there's any at my local Cost Plus! Always love a good Sauv Blanc.

    Beth
    http://www.thewinorhino.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find. I'll keep an eye out for these ducks.

    Cheers,
    Brian
    http://norcalwingman.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my way to Cost Plus right now. (Or I would be, if it weren't midnight.) Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a cost plus nearby, and my wife loves the SB/Semillon from the "mystery" producer :)

    I'm going to check it out! Hope all the good stuff doesn't just go to Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know someone who works at Cost Plus and they were told that this Sauv Blanc was from St. Supery, not Duckhorn!

    Either way, it is superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It tastes an awful lot like Duckhorn! But either way, you are correct in saying that it is superb--it is!

    ReplyDelete