Sunday, January 9, 2011

Crazy About Folie à Deux!


Ok, maybe a little crazy... Not long ago, bestowed upon me were a set of wine samples that I easily became "a little nuts" about. Ever heard of Folie à Deux? The surprise hit me like a ton of brix. (Ha Ha--that's a joke! Must be the psychosis...LOL!) A complete surprise because I had seen these wines at the store and on my travels to Napa Valley, I had many a time traveled past the winery, bright and shiny and on the left hand side of HWY 29 as I traveled to other destinations further north. Why did I not stop there ever? Beats me. But I will sometime soon... The wines I sampled represent a wholesome value that is not often seen in these parts: great wines at a low price!

We'll start with my favorite of the three reds I received, the 2008 Napa Valley Merlot. OK, I can see the frown on everyone's faces bringing thoughts of the ever shrinking Merlot section of the wine shops and wine aisles across America! It's still happening out there! No one wants to drink Merlot! Here's the issue though--by not drinking it, the public is missing out on some terrific wines and this one is no exception! One sip and I was totally hooked and I remember thinking, "How much does this cost???" The flavors were huge and rich--ripe raspberries, chocolate and spice. Beautiful long finish. At $18, this wine is a steal and I plan to steal a lot of it!! Yum!!!

The next wine I sampled was the 2008 Amador County Zinfandel. Amador County is best known for its meaty and earthy "in your face" rich reds that are a perfect winter weather accompaniment. This one is a bit lighter than some I've sampled in the past, but the flavors are still there! Brambly blackberry and cinnamon spice with just a hint of earthiness and only 14.5% alcohol. (I'm used to the fruit-bomb style over 15.5% Zins) I loved it! And here's the best part: This one is only $18 too! Another great value!



In the land where Cabernet is king and there is more Cabernet per square mile than people, it would be tough to compete and be recognized. I don't think Folie à Deux necessarily wanted to compete with the big boys out there more than they wanted to create a nice, balanced and food friendly Napa Cab that would be easy on your pocket book. The 2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon does this. For $24, it's a wine you could serve at dinner several times a week and know you got your money's worth. Tasty dark fruits meld with smooth tannins and a smooth finish.

(I also received the 2009 Napa Valley Chardonnay which I have chosen to save until later in the year when I do a post on different Chardonnays. Currently, I am suffering from white wine palate fatigue of the worst kind so it would not be fair for me to review this wine at the present time...)

So, in a nutshell, I truly believe that Folie à Deux are a great value and that you would be a little "crazy" not to discover them for yourselves.

Folie à Deux wines are distributed nationwide as well as found at their Napa Valley tasting room. The winery is located at 7481 St. Helena Highway in Oakville. They are open daily for tasting or you can schedule an appointment via their website, http://folieadeux.com.

"You Saw It Here First"...This post was created solely for "Cellarmistress' Cellar Talk" by Grace Hoffman. Grace is an Italian-born, American-bred wine blogger/educator with an all-consuming passion for wine and all it encompasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment