Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or "Treat"???

It's Halloween eve and I am not going out tonight. The bunny costume has been officially retired. And let's face it, my head hurts and my palate is shot from tasting 120+ wines last night. I just don't want to take wine seriously at all today! OK, although I may be hurting, I am not a party pooper! I've decided to make the most of this evening at home by celebrating with a little "Treat"...

Halloween happens to be my favorite holiday. So as I was out and about this afternoon, I brainstormed my way into World Market and lo and behold, I spied a bottle of "Treat"---a Halloween-inspired wine. It was $5.59 and at that price, I had to take one home because this was one wine I could maybe stir up a little mayhem with! "Oh no--what is she up to now?" you ask! Heh-heh-heh!

I just love a mystery...When I brought this "Treat" home, the first thing I did was get on my laptop and try to find out some information on it. Right--how about NO information at all! The only thing I had to go on was the alcohol content--12.2%. It was going to be a somewhat sweet Halloween treat, right? Maybe. How about other information on the label--it said 2008 California White Table Wine. That could be anything! Cellared and bottled by Treat Cellars, Healdsburg, CA. Hmmm... A digital brand. I'd love to know where they really made this wine. I was doomed to guess which varietals were in it, too! Sheesh...

As I uncorked the bottle (yes, they sprung for "real" cork, not synthetic...), I read the cute poem on the front label--"Trick or Treat, Kiss my feet, Give me something good to drink". The words were printed behind this evil-looking cartoon cat with a Cheshire grin made of candy corn... (Mmmm...Candy Corn!) I decided to take a whiff of his poison and the first thing I smelled was Gewürztraminer, maybe Viognier--couldn't tell... It was all fruit-forward, more fruity than sweet. But then it hit the middle and disappeared. There was a bitter thing going on the back end. The result of bad blending, perhaps? Or maybe it's the use of what I call "filler white varietals" such as French Colombard. A cruel "trick" I say! OK, I guess I asked for it. "What do you expect for $5???" said my Dad this afternoon. This coming from someone who doesn't even drink wine...

So, here's the good part---after today this wine will literally disappear... Only to hideously reincarnate itself during the next holiday. Maybe they'll call it "Turkey Tango" or better yet, can you say "Box O' Grapes???" HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!

No comments:

Post a Comment